Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Writing Tutorial [was: tracker with midi input]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Writing Tutorial [was: tracker with midi input]
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 16:40:03 EET

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 11:56:23 +0100, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> As much as I like your way and as much as I would like to understand it
> better, I would prefer a more general C or even better C++ tutorial.
> Making the work easier with XML and Perl might be too off-topic in the
> tutorial I am thinking of. It simply a next step, that should come

A tutorial on how to write LADSPA code in C allready exists. I have never
done it. I got 50% of the way through a simple plugin before I got bored
of typing:

               port_descriptors = (LADSPA_PortDescriptor *)calloc(3,
                 sizeof(LADSPA_PortDescriptor));
               ampDescriptor->PortDescriptors =
                 (const LADSPA_PortDescriptor *)port_descriptors;

Then I decided it was a job for software.

I don't use C++ for religious reasons ;) But, I suspect it could be a good
choice for LADSPA plugins, the CMT set are C++ IIRC.

OTOH all the stuff I write would be applicable, its just that do do it in
raw C you would have to write a lot of routine setup code too.

- Steve