[linux-audio-dev] [ot] perl python php

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] [ot] perl python php
From: Frank Barknecht (barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 01:39:20 EET

Steve Harris hat gesagt: // Steve Harris wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 11:56:23 +0100, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > (The makestub.pl indeed needs a cleanup. I found myself constantly
> > cleaning up my Perl code, so I am now happily learning and coding in
> > Python, but that shall not start a Perl-Python discussion, please.)
>
> Yes, I tried to give up perl a year ago after I found I was spending too
> much time throwing away old, illegible code and starting again. I haven't
> really found a replacement though. I like Java, but it's a bit long
> winded. I've not tried python.
>
> The only languages I use regularly are C, ECMAScript (aka JavaScript 1.5)
> and PHP. Sadly ECMAScript+DOM is not easily available as a standalone
> language, it is really good.
Doing Web for a living, eh? Now, seriously, you might want to take a
look at Python, if religion doesn't interfere here. I found, that a lot
of the sayings are true: it really enforces read- and maintainability,
and in contrast to Jave it's quick to learn and to hack. With your
knowledge, you will only need an afternoon to get the grasp.

And most important: the regular expressions are Perl-compatible.

Ciao,

--
                                                 __    __
 Frank Barknecht       ____ ______   ____ __ trip\ \  / /wire ______