[linux-audio-dev] APIs

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] APIs
From: Bob Ham (node_AT_users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 18:38:11 EET

On Tue, 2002-02-12 at 14:16, Steve Harris wrote:

> Occasionaly I think the l-a-d world needs a more comprehensive plugin
> format* with features like:
> midi support
> array parameters
> non-streaming processing
> metadata
> inherant ui support
> a known 0dB reference level ;)

> I don't think this is a good idea right now anyway, LADSPA has only just
> been adopted by a good number of hosts and creating another plugin format
> would add confustion.

I agree on both counts. I started working on a sequencer framework for
creating performances with arbitrary event data; audio, midi, video,
etc. The event definitions were in plugins, as was the processing code
(ie, DSP, etc.) Unfortunately, due to a backup failure, and gstreamer
coming along and *seeming* to replicate what I was doing, I stopped
working on it.

However, I definately think that, at some point, something like an
arbitrary-event-type API should be done. It would be absurdly useful.

Bob

--
Bob Ham: bob_AT_ham.org

My music: http://mp3.com/obelisk_uk GNU Hurd: http://hurd.gnu.org/ Do your bit for UK drugs law reform: http://www.angeldeclaration.com/

A pessimist expects the weather to get worse. An optimist hopes it will improve. A realist adjusts the sails.