Re: [linux-audio-dev] steinberg vst system link

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] steinberg vst system link
From: Jay Ts (jay_AT_metran.cx)
Date: Sat Feb 16 2002 - 10:09:13 EET

> On Sat, 2002-02-16 at 05:01, Jay Ts wrote:
> > This
> > is getting into what I/we wrote about here a long time ago: a networked
> > audio architecture, where audio functions can be freely dispersed among
> > hosts on a TCP/IP network.
>
> What's stopping this from happening?

Part of it is that I haven't written a single line of code. ;-) There
was a project called soundserver that was being discussed for a very
short while. The idea was that it was going to be like an X Window
System for audio. But that discussion dried up very quickly.

More recently, there was development by Paul Davis and others here
on LAAGA (Linux Audio Application Glue API). The URL for that is:

http://eca.cx/laaga/

There were some interesting discussions about context switching
latency and even extending LAAGA to include network connections.
Then I dropped out of here to go work on other things that required
my attention (and still do). So I don't know what's happened since
then.

Jay Ts