RE: [linux-audio-dev] APIs

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] APIs
From: Richard W.E. Furse (richard_AT_muse.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Feb 16 2002 - 15:55:31 EET

[...]
> the problem is really in syncing different streaming data rates and
> providing buffer management for different types of data. despite
> richard (f.)'s description of LADMEA, i don't believe that getting
> asynchronous data like MIDI and streaming data like audio and video to
> run properly in sync is easy at all.
[...]

Yep, getting data like this in sync is not easy, however a "transparent" API
like LADMEA hopefully allows the exchange coder to get on with solving those
problems (synchronous or asynchronous, in a Jack style, a MAIA style, a
GLAME style, a gstreamer style, ATM, audio/video or whatever) while allowing
the client to get on with writing his/her applications (FX processors,
sequencers, HDR etc).

> if people have ideas on how to do this, that would be great.
>
> --p

I'm still waiting for real feedback on LADMEA - there've been some valid
comments about who does memory allocation (this is easy to fix) but
otherwise no comment on whether or not the API works that's been based on a
proper reading of the API. I suppose this is my fault for writing a very
general (and relatively complex) API and not having time to write much
richer documentation than the code comments (although there's about twice as
much comment as code). It's not much longer than LADSPA however, and it
shouldn't be hard for programmers of your calibre ;-)

I really should stop plugging this if there's no interest. I don't have time
to flesh it out or write an SDK if no one thinks it's worth it - I have too
many interesting/difficult projects at work, I'm behind with other "hobby"
projects (e.g. LADSPA 1.1) and I've come up with some very exciting new
ideas in the 3D audio world that I'm currently developing. In the meantime,
I'd remind you all it's still out there... http://www.ladspa.org/ladmea/

--Richard