Re: [linux-audio-dev] MMX, SSE, SSE2, 3DNOW

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] MMX, SSE, SSE2, 3DNOW
From: Erik Walthinsen (omega_AT_temple-baptist.com)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 00:52:10 EET

On Mon, 2002-02-18 at 13:47, Jussi Laako wrote:

> Don't tell that to my GCC 3.0.3 and GNU as compiling inlined E3DNow code...

I think what he may have meant is that GCC doesn't produce any MMX or
other code on its own. I'm happily using inline asm for this stuff too
(where I can, which isn't right now, and that sucks), but it would be
nice if the compiler would create MMX for me.

That said, I would never let the compiler have the last word when
writing high-speed routines. It may be that only insane people
hand-write MMX/SSE code, and if so, guilty as charged <g> But I bet
money that I can write faster SIMD code than a compiler can any day.

      Erik Walthinsen <omega_AT_temple-baptist.com> - System Administrator
        __
       / \ GStreamer - The only way to stream!
      | | M E G A ***** http://gstreamer.net/ *****
      _\ /_