Re: [linux-audio-dev] MMX, SSE, SSE2, 3DNOW

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] MMX, SSE, SSE2, 3DNOW
From: Billy Biggs (vektor_AT_DIV8.NET)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 02:38:02 EET

On 18 Feb 2002, Erik Walthinsen wrote:

> [...] It may be that only insane people hand-write MMX/SSE code, and
> if so, guilty as charged <g> But I bet money that I can write faster
> SIMD code than a compiler can any day.

  It's pretty clear to me that MMX/SSE is intended to be hand written, and
the documentation seems to indicate that too. It's also not too difficult
once you get the hang of it. :)

  But having compilers that can use it where appropriate (like icc
can) can also be helpful.

--
Billy Biggs                         vektor_AT_div8.net
http://www.div8.net/billy       wbiggs_AT_uwaterloo.ca