Re: [linux-audio-dev] The intel C compiler

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] The intel C compiler
From: Andre Pang (ozone_AT_algorithm.com.au)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 02:45:23 EET

On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 07:37:59PM +0000, Steve Harris wrote:

> I've been using the intel C compiler for a few months now, but I was
> unable to comment on it quantatively before due to licensing restrictions.

Check out Codeplay's VectorC[1]: (go to the VectorC page):

    VectorC recognises parallelisms in standard C/C++ source code
    and generates vectorized code for the supported CPUs. As a
    'smart compiler', VectorC automatically utilises advanced CPU
    features and negates the need for time consuming assembly
    language programming.

In particular, check out the comparisons vs other compilers[2]
and have a look at the generated code output. It appears to
really boot ass over Intel C++ and Visual C++. Their compiler
server[3] might be very useful for evaluating it, too.

The bad news is that there's no Linux version at the moment; the
good news is that there's a beta scheduled to come out soon.
I've been strongly tempted to register for a Windows license and
ask to beta-test the Linux version. It's commercial software,
but for USD$80 for a personal license, I think it's a very
reasonable ask.

I'll be watching the website; will let you guys know when the
Linux version is available.

1. http://www.codeplay.com/
2. http://www.codeplay.com/vectorc/feat-vec2.html
3. http://www.codeplay.com/vectorc/demo-compiler.html

--
#ozone/algorithm <ozone_AT_algorithm.com.au>          - trust.in.love.to.save