Re: [linux-audio-dev] MMX, SSE, SSE2, 3DNOW

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] MMX, SSE, SSE2, 3DNOW
From: Richard Guenther (rguenth_AT_tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Wed Feb 20 2002 - 10:25:16 EET

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Steve Harris wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 11:45:49 +0200, Jussi Laako wrote:
> >
> > Intel's compiler can generate code that autoselects best version for i586,
> > i686, P3 or P4 and it works very well. So you don't have to worry about what
> > kind of CPU the machine has. Anyway you can get significantly better
> > performance with writing the routines by hand.
>
> Yes, but that doesn't work with dl loaded .so's which is what LADSPA
> plugins are.
>
> I'm obviously missing something, why would anyone want to have a plugin
> installed which can run on arbitrary CPU's? The only reason I can think of
> is if you move the partition from one machine to another, or on an NFS
> partition shared by machines with different architectures, but how many
> people do that?

Uh, too many to not to care. I think an acceptable policy for LADSPA
plugins would be to have at least code for the weakest available CPU
around (i.e. C code, compiled with -march=i386), additional optimized
code should be used only after run-time detection of the CPU.

Richard.

--
Richard Guenther <richard.guenther_AT_uni-tuebingen.de>
The GLAME Project: http://www.glame.de/