Re: [linux-audio-dev] The intel C compiler

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] The intel C compiler
From: Michael J McGonagle (fndsnd_AT_rcnchicago.com)
Date: Wed Feb 20 2002 - 19:20:46 EET

Steve Harris wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 09:42:38 -0600, Michael J McGonagle wrote:
> > Steve Harris wrote:
> > >
> > > I've been using the intel C compiler for a few months now, but I was
> > > unable to comment on it quantatively before due to licensing restrictions.
> >
> > Ok, would I be stupid in asking if the Intel compiler's code will run on
> > an AMD processor? Or do they do something to make it specific to the
> > Intel series?
>
> No, from what I've heard the code it produces works very well on AMD
> chips.

Ok, next stupid question? Has anyone thought of doing a Linux
distribution based around using the Intel compiler? Or is this something
that is forbidden by their license? Are there just too many differences
between GCC and the Intel for this to be an easy thing?

In recompiling things, what parts of the system are you concentrating
on? Kernel things? Just audio processing? Or is the goal to produce a
working system around the Intel compiler?

Thanks,

Mike