Re: [linux-audio-dev] The intel C compiler

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] The intel C compiler
From: bob.colwell_AT_attbi.com
Date: Wed Feb 20 2002 - 22:13:23 EET

Intel's compiler generates pretty good x86 code, which
generally runs ok on AMD processors too. There are cases
where the differences in L2 cache design of the Pentium
III vs the Athlon matter, and those are generally not
biased in AMD's favor.

Saying the code runs faster than on an "equivalent"
Intel processor requires that we agree on what
equivalent means, a discussion that I suspect won't
benefit this email list. (Equivalent process
technologies? Equivalent clock rates? Equivalent
aggregate performance? Equivalent product intro dates?) -
BobC