Re: [linux-audio-dev] introduction & ideas

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] introduction & ideas
From: Kai Vehmanen (kai.vehmanen_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Sun Feb 24 2002 - 20:40:15 EET

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Stefan Kost wrote:

> Just to quickly introduce myself, as I am new to the list (and to
> linux/unix-audio too), I am working since 1983 on a audio-processing
> package which is called SoundFX (see http://www.sonicpulse.de) and is
> avaiable form the Amiga-platform since (its

Welcome aboard! :)

> Generally it is a quite tedious task to get a good overview about whats
> going on with unix (and especially linux) and audio, as everything is
> quite in flow. What I would like to suggest is to

Well that's exactly what linux-audio-dev and linux-audio-user are all
about! Getting developers to these lists has been a slow process (LAD
started in 1998, and LAU in 2001), but things _are_ going forward.

There are still many major developer groups dealing with multimedia that
are not actively participating on these lists. The biggest ones are groups
working on desktop environment media subsystems and game developers
(OpenAL, SDL, etc). The reason for lack of communication is usually lack
of time. These bigger developer groups already have their own mailing
lists and irc channels so they don't have much time (or need) for
LAD/LAU. And this is perfectly understandable. Although I still hope we
could maintain a line of communication.

> 1. start a sourceforge foundry
> name suggestions : "unix media" (other names are welcome)
> 2. start a sourceforge project along with the foundry, which is aplain website project
> this way we all could easily contribute to build an informative website for audio-development, collecting links etc.

My view is that building yet another community project would just harm LAD
and LAU by further dividing the free-software and open-source developers.

A better approach is to help build and maintain LAD/LAU related web sites
and resources. Here's a few overview/news web sites:

http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/
http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/linuxsound/
http://mstation.org
http://www.linuxmusic.fr.st

> 3. model a unified abstract architecture, so that the single projects can easily refer to it to state in which field
> they are working (see super-simple first approach in attachment).
> LADSPA e.g. would be positioned in pluginAPI/effects, ALSA in ioHAL/audio, jack probably pluginAPI/producer and pluginAPI/consumer
> and so on. I belive this would clearly help new developers to choose the right technology for their tasks.

This would be interesting. I'd say the LAD home page would be the right
place for it (or a separate site linked from it).

--
 http://www.eca.cx
 Audio software for Linux!