Re: [linux-audio-dev] introduction & ideas

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] introduction & ideas
From: Stefan Kost (kost_AT_imn.htwk-leipzig.de)
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 14:47:47 EET

Hello Kai,

> On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Stefan Kost wrote:
>

>>Just to quickly introduce myself, as I am new to the list (and to
>>linux/unix-audio too), I am working since 1983 on a audio-processing
>>package which is called SoundFX (see http://www.sonicpulse.de) and is
>>avaiable form the Amiga-platform since (its
>>

> Welcome aboard! :)

thanks for the first encouraging reply to my post.

>>Generally it is a quite tedious task to get a good overview about whats
>>going on with unix (and especially linux) and audio, as everything is
>>quite in flow. What I would like to suggest is to
>>

> Well that's exactly what linux-audio-dev and linux-audio-user are all
> about! Getting developers to these lists has been a slow process (LAD
> started in 1998, and LAU in 2001), but things _are_ going forward.
>
> There are still many major developer groups dealing with multimedia that
> are not actively participating on these lists. The biggest ones are groups
> working on desktop environment media subsystems and game developers
> (OpenAL, SDL, etc). The reason for lack of communication is usually lack
> of time. These bigger developer groups already have their own mailing
> lists and irc channels so they don't have much time (or need) for
> LAD/LAU. And this is perfectly understandable. Although I still hope we
> could maintain a line of communication.
>

>>1. start a sourceforge foundry
>> name suggestions : "unix media" (other names are welcome)
>>2. start a sourceforge project along with the foundry, which is aplain website project
>> this way we all could easily contribute to build an informative website for audio-development, collecting links etc.
>>

> My view is that building yet another community project would just harm LAD
> and LAU by further dividing the free-software and open-source developers.
>
> A better approach is to help build and maintain LAD/LAU related web sites
> and resources. Here's a few overview/news web sites:
>
> http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/
> http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/linuxsound/
> http://mstation.org
> http://www.linuxmusic.fr.st

The idea was brought up, because I say quite a few site a sourceforge, which have a
link "<project> is part of the <foundry-name> foundry" at their top. I though it would probably useful for media-related
projects too. The more I think about it, the name might not be appropriate enough (I am satisfied with the "media"-part),
but the "unix"- hmmm.

>>3. model a unified abstract architecture, so that the single projects can easily refer to it to state in which field
>> they are working (see super-simple first approach in attachment).
>> LADSPA e.g. would be positioned in pluginAPI/effects, ALSA in ioHAL/audio, jack probably pluginAPI/producer and pluginAPI/consumer
>> and so on. I belive this would clearly help new developers to choose the right technology for their tasks.
>>

> This would be interesting. I'd say the LAD home page would be the right
> place for it (or a separate site linked from it).

Maybe the right approach, would be creating the sourceforge-foundry and just haveing a simple page there linking

to the pages you've listed above, leaded by the lad-homepage of course.

Stefan

--
       \|/
      <@ @> Stefan Kost  private                   business