Re: [linux-audio-dev] MP3 Decoder wishlist

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] MP3 Decoder wishlist
From: Guenther Sohler (guenther.sohler_AT_newlogic.com)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 22:15:10 EET

Hallo Diemo,

> Hi all, this is a very interesting thread because it pops up at a time
> where we were asking ourselves the same question.
>
> As there are several people interested in sample-precise access to
> mp3-files, why not combine the efforts and create a generic efficient
> method (see below for some propositions)?
I did not expect this. But if - it would be fine for me.

>> *just reading every frame's header ??
>
> Sure.
OK. I'll investigate now how to use mad with just reading the header and
how many bytes to skip to the next frame. this should make seek as fast as
it could be used in an application.

> I wonder if the special Xing frame allows sample-precise seek, as it
> only records 100 base points.

What is xing ? does the points from 0 to 100 correspond to the percentage of
the whole file ?

does every mp3 file have xing frames ?

appending such lookuptable info to the mp3 file was a good idea, but you could
not rely on that, because not every mp3 file has, and i want to have something
which is 100% working.

rds guenther