Re: [linux-audio-dev] MP3 Decoder wishlist

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] MP3 Decoder wishlist
From: Rene Rebe (rene.rebe_AT_gmx.net)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 23:01:48 EET

On: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 21:15:10 +0100 (MET),
    Guenther Sohler <guenther.sohler_AT_newlogic.com> wrote:
> Hallo Diemo,
>
> > Hi all, this is a very interesting thread because it pops up at a time
> > where we were asking ourselves the same question.

We _only_ need to add a mid-layer interface to mad. Providing open,
seek, read, close.

> OK. I'll investigate now how to use mad with just reading the header and
> how many bytes to skip to the next frame. this should make seek as fast as
> it could be used in an application.

GSMP does this. GSMP/{include,src}/MADHelper.{hh,cc}.

The code has only some minor issues where the data is incorrect - and
needs a rewrite. (It is the results of a few days try'n error ...)

> > I wonder if the special Xing frame allows sample-precise seek, as it
> > only records 100 base points.
>
> What is xing ? does the points from 0 to 100 correspond to the percentage of
> the whole file ?
>
> does every mp3 file have xing frames ?

No. It is a extension.

> appending such lookuptable info to the mp3 file was a good idea, but
> you could not rely on that, because not every mp3 file has, and i
> want to have something which is 100% working.

I do not touch this info, too.

> rds guenther

k33p h4ck1n6
  René

--
René Rebe (Registered Linux user: #248718 <http://counter.li.org>)

eMail: rene.rebe_AT_gmx.net rene_AT_rocklinux.org

Homepage: http://drocklinux.dyndns.org/rene/

Anyone sending unwanted advertising e-mail to this address will be charged $25 for network traffic and computing time. By extracting my address from this message or its header, you agree to these terms.