Re: [linux-audio-dev] introduction & ideas

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] introduction & ideas
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 17:44:27 EET

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 04:06:01 +0100, Martijn Sipkema wrote:
> The auther probably wrote this with OpenML (dmSDK) as being the
> right way. Maybe this is indeed true for video and perhaps dmSDK
> does scale well to low latency and for use in synchronous execution
> audio.
> Anyway, I think OpenML gets very little attention. The OpenGL
> extensions and display sync API are nice too. Maybe some of us
> Linux audio developers should join the OpenML mailing list.

I was on the OpenAL dev list (around '98, I was going some GL work at the
time). They were mostly video people, but they seemed to have some
understanding of the differences, but they wanted something very
decalative, ala. OpenGL, which I don't think is appropriate.

I don't think they understood the differnece between "apply specular
reflections to this surface" and "apply chorus to this audio stream" ;)

- Steve