[linux-audio-dev] Sample Rate / Resolution question

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Sample Rate / Resolution question
From: Richard C. Burnett (burnett_AT_tality.com)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 21:08:54 EET

I wanted to ask everyone a question regarding Sample Rates and
resolution. Please correct me where I am wrong. I have assumed that
working in higher resolutions (ie 24-bit) opens up your dynamic range and
allows you to push the noise floor down. Also, the higher resolution
allows you to represent more accurately the level of sound, this all seems
pretty simple.

My question is on Sample Rate. If I am going to be putting something on
CD eventually, is it better to work with 44.1 kHz or is it more beneficial
to work at the higher rates? The reason I ask is 96 Khz does not divide
equally by 44.1 kHz, so I was wondering if you would get aliasing effects,
since its not equal, and if so, are their benefits in quality from the
higher rate that outweigh this?

Thanks,
Rick