RE: [linux-audio-dev] Sample Rate / Resolution question

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] Sample Rate / Resolution question
From: Pieter Palmers (pieter.palmers_AT_student.kuleuven.ac.be)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 21:54:09 EET

>My question is on Sample Rate. If I am going to be putting something on
>CD eventually, is it better to work with 44.1 kHz or is it more beneficial
>to work at the higher rates? The reason I ask is 96 Khz does not divide
>equally by 44.1 kHz, so I was wondering if you would get aliasing effects,
>since its not equal, and if so, are their benefits in quality from the
>higher rate that outweigh this?

it doesn't matter if 96 & 44.1 divide equally or not. you will always have
to do
anti-alias filtering before downsampling.
the aliasing effect always appears when downsampling a signal with frequency
content above the (target sampling frequency)/2. You just have to get rid of
any frequency content above 22050Hz before downsampling to 44000hz.

So why do we work with 96kHz? I don't know of any reason other than 'it
seems to
sound better'.

Pieter