Re: [linux-audio-dev] off topic, optical protocols

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] off topic, optical protocols
From: Richard C. Burnett (burnett_AT_tality.com)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 17:06:13 EET

What you are making in itself is an analog to digital
converter. Questions that pop off the top of my head:

1. different angles will have different lengths to the detectors, are you
thinking of making the detectors curve to the geometric shape?

2. Since the laser will not be a point but a spreading of light, how will
that affect the spreading at different angles on a curves surface, will
you hit too many bits at once?

3. The mass of the object and its center point holding method will
probably provide some distortion due to momentum change and spring like
affects.

4. As I can see it, each optical detector is a level indicator. To get
the same resolution as a 16-bit A/D you would need 65000 detectors, is
that feasible?

Rick
| T a l i t y | +------+ |
| Richard Burnett | +-+ | |