Re: [linux-audio-dev] Searching for midi-specification

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Searching for midi-specification
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 20:02:20 EET

>> and as ever, anyone on LAD is free to write and ask me. i have the
>> official docs from the MMA, and i'm quite willing to answer
>> questions.
>
>Ok then :)
>I was wondering, is there anything in the MIDI specification about the
>difference between 'bulk dump' system exclusive and 'realtime' system
>exclusive messages, such as what would be a reasonable maximum
>length for timing critical sysex?

This is the most germane material I could find:

p.5:

  Realtime messages are used for synchronization and are intended for
  all clock-based units in a system. They contain status bytes only -
  no data bytes. Realtime messages may be sent at any time - even
  between the bytes of a message which has a different status. ....

  Exclusive messages can contain any number of data bytes and can be
  terminated either by an End of Exclusive (EOX) or any other status
  byte (except real-time messages).

p.34

  Since the purpose of MIDI is to connect many kinds of musical
  instruments and peripheral equipment, it is best not to use
  Exclusive messages to convey real-time performance information (with
  the exception of special Universal messages described
  below). Performance information is best sent via Channel Voice
  messages in real time.