Re: [linux-audio-dev] ecasound on iPAQ 3600

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ecasound on iPAQ 3600
From: Kai Vehmanen (kai.vehmanen_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Fri Mar 08 2002 - 00:02:44 EET

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Paul Kellett wrote:

>> I just finished porting ecasound to Compaq's iPAQ 3600, running the
>> Familiar v0.5.1 Linux distribution. This is probably the first multitrack
>> recording suite running on a PDA. :)
> Sorry, you are not first... www.planetgriff.com

Doh! :) Although, to be precise, Griff is an audio sequencer while
ecasound is multitrack recorder. But of course, multitracking on a PDA
does not make much sense from a real-life point of view. ;)

Hmm, only ecasound feature that might really be useful (in addition to
simple playback and recording) is realtime effect processing (would
require separate line-in and line-out jacks). Does Griff's sampler support
this?

In any case Griff really seems quite cool. I know lots of musicians who
like to work with portable mini-sequencers like the Yamaha's QY-series.
But these dedicated devices are quite expensive and always limited. So if
you already have a PDA (which is becoming more and more common), buying an
app like Griff does seem tempting.

> (I wrote the audio code for it - all in fixed point which was interesting!)

Yup, the only feasible solution for serious PDA audio apps if no fpu is
available.

> You say "recording"... I've modified my 3630 to give it a line input, but
> I haven't found a way to control the input gain. Even though we're on
> different OS's have you got any ideas?

It should be possible. On the Linux-distro I used in my tests there was
only a very simple mixer utility, which didn't allow adjusting anything
else than line-out volume. But looking at the driver code, there're
controls for enabling/disabling AGC, and if disabled, for setting input
gain. So at least the hardware supports it.

--
 http://www.eca.cx
 Audio software for Linux!