Re: [linux-audio-dev] ecasound on iPAQ 3600

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ecasound on iPAQ 3600
From: Paul Kellett (paul.kellett_AT_maxim.abel.co.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 08 2002 - 19:42:01 EET

"Kai Vehmanen" <kai.vehmanen_AT_wakkanet.fi> wrote:

> > Sorry, you are not first... www.planetgriff.com
>
> Hmm, only ecasound feature that might really be useful (in addition to
> simple playback and recording) is realtime effect processing (would
> require separate line-in and line-out jacks). Does Griff's sampler support
> this?

The effects are all separate plug-ins using aux sends from a mixer, so
yes, but Griff doesn't have live audio input yet. I think the in-out
latency on WinCE will be 50-100ms, but there is a per-sample interrupt
so if that could be used, latency could be very low.

> In any case Griff really seems quite cool. I know lots of musicians who
> like to work with portable mini-sequencers like the Yamaha's QY-series.
> But these dedicated devices are quite expensive and always limited. So if
> you already have a PDA (which is becoming more and more common), buying an
> app like Griff does seem tempting.

Yes, it already has some big advantages over the QYs - you can easily load
your own samples, and there are are already about 5 "synth" plug-ins as well
as several FX plug-ins.

> else than line-out volume. But looking at the driver code, there're
> controls for enabling/disabling AGC, and if disabled, for setting input
> gain. So at least the hardware supports it.

Where can I find the driver code? I don't know if I'd have to write a
device driver to make it work in WinCE, but it's worth investigating.

Paul.

  m a x i m | digital audio

    http://mda-vst.com