Re: [ot] [linux-audio-dev] diff for binary files was: diff for audiofiles?

Subject: Re: [ot] [linux-audio-dev] diff for binary files was: diff for audiofiles?
From: hersto_AT_gmx.de
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 19:49:10 EET

If you respond to this:
PLEASE follow the etiquette and remove the was: part in the subject...

Adriaan Pelzer wrote:

> On Mon 11 Mar 02 18:19, you wrote:
> > There are many examples of uses of CVS for binary files in the Video Game
> > Developpement world.
> > There is NO good solution to binary files versionning that I know of. For
> > exemple Alien Brain doesn't solve any of the issues and they reinvented the
> > wheel with a proprietary (and ugly) solution based on win32 only servers...
> > Artistic assets management is a real problem for many companies and I'd
> > really like to know about other solutions than CVS.
> >
> > Sebastien

Visual SourceSafe is another Win32 only versioning system from
Microsoft. It can keep track of ascii and binary files, but
it cannot show you the differences for binary files.

> Tell me about it!
>
> I'm trying my best to find a way to
> a) Keep track of all the changes in a composition
> b) Keep track of utilities and scripts written to make the composition.
> c) Keep track of scores, leadsheets made to perform the composition live.
> d) Be able to afterwards access the raw material in an organised way for
> re-use.

When you have two versions of a binary files, how do you want to
view the differences of both? I think something like xdiff for
binary files would need to know the actuall file format. (Note:
Word can do this for .doc files, so this is possible.)