Re: [linux-audio-dev] diff for audiofiles?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] diff for audiofiles?
From: Tom (stillone_AT_snowcrest.net)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 22:19:23 EET

> Hello. Is there a software which checks differences between
> audiofiles?

In the mac world, Sound Designer II, a destructive editor, offers two
very useful features; "compare files" and "find peak".

"Compare files" takes two files, inverts the second one, then adds them
together in a separate file.
"Find peak" locates the largest positive or negative sample in a
soundfile.

I use these two features in combination all the time to verify bit for
bit accuracy when making cd-r archives of soundfiles and to verify
correct functionality in all audio programs that I use. The idea is
that if one performs a process on or with a soundfile that should
theoretically produce an identical copy, such as making a copy on cd-r
or bouncing a single monophonic file at unity gain to a new file, then
comparing these two files should produce a diff file that contains all
zeros. The "find peak" feature verifies this. If the "find peak"
feature finds any samples in the diff file that are not zero, then there
is an error somewhere (bug, documentation, or user error). With this
method, I have found errors in every program that I use, and am
confident that all of my cd-r archives (two of everything that makes its
way into a final mix) are identical copies of the originals.
Fortunately there is enough redundancy in audio apps that I have been
able to identify at least one accurate method for accomplishing
everything between the three apps that I use.

Any linux audio app that I use in the future will have to pass this
test, so first there needs to be a linux audio app that can perform this
test :)

Tom