Re: [linux-audio-dev] question regarding an alternative to theRME's PCI-to-Multiface card

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] question regarding an alternative to theRME's PCI-to-Multiface card
From: Dustin Barlow (duslow_AT_hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 21:22:05 EET

>I have heard people complaining about the midiman 8x8 USB version, now
>granted, I don't have that one, but as you say, it shouldn't be a
>problem. The MOTU ExpressXT works like a champ :)

There is a spin locks bug with the MidiMan USB Midi driver for all Windows
versions. According to their website, they are aware of the problem and are
working on a fix.

I own the MidiMan 8x8 and was having problems with audio playback when
running 16+ tracks of 24/48 audio (using an Aardvark Q10) and the MidiMan
running 1 or more tracks of Midi in Cubase. I found that if I turned off
all the midi playback, the audio playback magically cleared up. After
reading about the spin locks bug in MidiMan USB driver, I plugged my Midiman
into the serial port and switched to using the serial port driver and my
audio pops and clicks problem completely went away.

I don't know if this same issue is in the Linux or Mac USB drivers, but it
certainly caused me problems when running my machine under a fairly heavy
load.

db