Re: [linux-audio-dev] ideas for a new MIDI API

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ideas for a new MIDI API
From: Erik de Castro Lopo (erikd-lad_AT_mega-nerd.com)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 22:03:31 EET

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002 14:26:58 +0100
"Martijn Sipkema" <m.j.w.sipkema_AT_student.tudelft.nl> wrote:

> I'm working on a new low level MIDI API and would like
> some comments on the ideas I have for it.
>
> - In contrast to the ALSA RawMidi API, it should not provide
> writing/reading raw (unchanged) MIDI data to an interface. Some
> interfaces might not support this, e.g MWPP.
>
> - It would allow only one application to have an input or output
> open at a time since merging is nontrivial.

Non-trivial but HIGHLY desirable. I want to run a synth pathc editor
and a sequencer simultaneously so I can tweak the synth's patch while
a sequence is playing.

Erik

  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam_AT_mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
Linux: generous programmers from around the world all join
forces to help you shoot yourself in the foot for free.