RE: [linux-audio-dev] surround/n-channel panning

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] surround/n-channel panning
From: Richard W.E. Furse (richard_AT_muse.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 01:18:17 EET

Take another look at the VBAP paper - it explains the panning energy issue
well.

Also, Ambisonics doesn't do Doppler, room models, distance delays and
suchlike on its own (unless you make a real recording or put a virtual
Ambisonic mike into my VSpace virtual acoustic space model). Most of these
auditory cues can be reproduced over VBAP too.

--Richard

[...]
> It isn't so bad if you don't want to take relative phase and doppler into
> account. It's a moving source, right? So its apparent frequency changes.
> Panning doesn't begin to model even the simplest moving source,
> and the only
> real way to do that is to try to reconstruct the sound field at
> the listener's
> head (i.e. do ambisonics, sorry :)
[...]