RE: [linux-audio-dev] changing control port values with LADSPA: a serious issue?

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] changing control port values with LADSPA: a serious issue?
From: Bob Colwell (bob.colwell_AT_attbi.com)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 08:24:09 EET

>> Does this not apply to the instruction cache as well--

>Yes. In fact, most modern CPUs don't even have a separate instruction
>cache. (The 68k CPUs up to 030 did, though - not sure about the rest.)

The P6 family has separate I and D L1 caches. The Pentium 4 has a
trace cache, which stores entire sequences of decoded micro-ops,
thus (by implication) storing any embedded branch predictions as
well. The Level 2 and higher caches are unified, combining data
and instructions.

>Of course, with a decent FPU, you could just run all of that in your
>inner loop and get away with it - but you can forget about real time
>on a Pentium! (A Pentium *would* handle the actual filter without
>complaining too much, though.)

Do you really mean a Pentium, or do you mean a Pentium II, III, or 4?
And if you mean anything other than a Pentium, why did you say that?

-BobC