[linux-audio-dev] LADSPA audio port range?

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA audio port range?
From: Tommi Ilmonen (tilmonen_AT_cc.hut.fi)
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 09:33:11 EET

Hi.

Quick question: Is there an expected range for audio signals in the
LADSPA?

I was testing my dynamics plugins with the "applyplugin" -app in the
LADSPA SDK and found out that applyplugin uses the range of 16-bit
integers as the range of audio signal with no scaling. Is this a standard?

Or is the hosting application expected to scale the audio signals (which
applyplugin does not do) from plugin to plugin (?) = the plugin author
gives range hints and the application scales signals coming from different
plugins to the same range.

This is important since a dynamics plugin needs to know what is the
nominal zero dB amplitude so the signals can be scaled accordingly.
Personally I prefer 1.0 as being 0 dB (signal range -1.0 to 1.0), but I
assume LADSPA people have a standard for this.

Tommi Ilmonen.