Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA audio port range?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA audio port range?
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 14:32:22 EET

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 09:33:11 +0200, Tommi Ilmonen wrote:
> This is important since a dynamics plugin needs to know what is the
> nominal zero dB amplitude so the signals can be scaled accordingly.
> Personally I prefer 1.0 as being 0 dB (signal range -1.0 to 1.0), but I
> assume LADSPA people have a standard for this.

You think that wouldn't you ;) Its not just dynamics plugins of course,
many filters involve some waveshaping and that goes to pot if you don't
know the 0dB level.

I've been banging on about it for ages, and I can't remeber if I ever got
consensus. I use [-1,1] and complain to people whos hosts do other things.
I have a patched applyplugin that uses [-1,1].

I know of no plugins that use something other than [-1,1], but there are
some that don't care.

- Steve