Re: [linux-audio-dev] What would YOU do with kernel support?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] What would YOU do with kernel support?
From: Rene Rebe (rene.rebe_AT_gmx.net)
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 00:13:09 EET

Hi.

On: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 16:49:10 -0500,
    Paul Davis <pbd_AT_Op.Net> wrote:

> For throughput issues, Ardour and Ecasound are probably the two most
> obvious candidates, because they are designed from the ground up
> around dealing with multichannel audio interfaces and full duplex
> operation, where you may be streaming 9MB/sec->18MB/sec of data
> between the app and the interface. There may be others with similar
> capabilities (GLAME might do this, for example), but I'm pretty sure
> that most Linux audio apps at the present time tend to be built around
> stereo output, which automatically clamps the data transfer rate. But
> as I said above, I think you will find that mmap mode sort of
> sidesteps most of the kinds of questions you might be setting out to
> investigate.

You can add GSMP to the list of "multi-channel" and "full-duplex by
design" applications.

http://drocklinux.dyndns.org/rene/gsmp/

The reason why I normally can not contribute to these discussions is
caused by the fact that I'm a) studying and b) one of the maintainers
of ROCK Linux (www.rocklinux.org).

It would be nice if you could list our applications when you give
program examples. btw: Our core is also much faster than Audacity.

k33p h4ck1n6
  René

--
René Rebe (Registered Linux user: #248718 <http://counter.li.org>)