Re: [linux-audio-dev] What would YOU do with kernel support?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] What would YOU do with kernel support?
From: Will Benton (willb_AT_cs.wisc.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 07:36:01 EET

On Thu, 2002-03-21 at 16:13, Rene Rebe wrote:

> You can add GSMP to the list of "multi-channel" and "full-duplex by
> design" applications.
>
> http://drocklinux.dyndns.org/rene/gsmp/

Thanks for the note, Rene.

From what I read on that page, you use shared objects for plugins and
effects -- it doesn't look like your effects architecture would benefit
from zero-copy IPC, and since you are multithreaded, there is no
compelling reason to use an effects architecture that requires IPC.
(On the other hand, there are even dynamic improvements for
shared-memory code, such as speculative lock elision, but all of the
lock elision stuff I've read has been in hardware.)

Is this the case? Do you have any kernel bottlenecks in your app?

A (somewhat) related question: is there some way to "fake" having a
"real" soundcard via ALSA so that I can do throughput tests on a
computer with a consumer-level stereo card?

wb

--
Will Benton      | "Die richtige Methode der Philosophie wäre eigentlich
die: