Re: [linux-audio-dev] caps lock effect on latency

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] caps lock effect on latency
From: Richard C. Burnett (burnett_AT_tality.com)
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 17:15:06 EET

Just think about when your computer locks up and the Caps-lock key doesn't
light anymore :) That should be a clear indication that something from
the CPU side is controlling it. I think all keyboards have an 8051
microcontroller in them, I had initially thought that it did all the
processing of the keyboard completely, but now I think it is probably
used for key scanning with all the controllable ports on the 8051.

Rick

> Certainly on AT (and I think PS2) keybaords the LED is controlled by the
> CPU. It was a standard way to find out if the kernel had died.
>
> - Steve

| T a l i t y | +------+ |
| Richard Burnett | +-+ | |
| Senior Design Engineer +---+ +----+ |