Re: [linux-audio-dev] those latency numbers

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] those latency numbers
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Sat Mar 23 2002 - 04:07:02 EET

Hi all, got a some spare cycles to read LAD again :-)

I saw the linuxdevices.com article too, indeed quite nice results especially
given that the testing period was 15 hours (1.5msec max latency with the
combined preemt+lowlat patch).

BTW: what does the performance of jack in "plugin mode" vs "threads" mode
look like. Is the kernel performing well (in terms of latency) even with
dozen of lowlat threads running ?

Paul: kudos for your ALSA docs !

PS: I noticed that 2.4 kernels do have an rme96xx.o module for the
Hammerfall. Do consumer OSS apps see the device as a regular /dev/dsp stereo
device ? (are the spdif ins/outs the default ports ? (did non try the OSS
module))

PS2: I'm working on a video analysis project at the university (realtime
motion tracking) which runs under linux so the final version of the sw will
probably run on a lowlat kernel. I'll report about results/experiences
when the project will be completed.

cheers,
Benno