[linux-audio-dev] Audio program installs

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Audio program installs
From: Oliver Sampson (olsam_AT_quickaudio.com)
Date: Sun Mar 24 2002 - 10:23:04 EET

Howdy,
I think this is the right list to post to:

I"m trying to get some audio software up and running on my Linux
machine. My Linux machine is a RH7.0 with lots of 7.2 and even newer
packages on it. I've used both a combination of RPMs (when
convenient) and tarball installations.

Right now, I'm trying to get ardour/jack up and running on my machine,
but I'm having some problems with the autoconf/configure scripts. (I
know enough to get myself into trouble, but not quite enough to get
myself out.) I've also done quite a bit of searching on the web, and
I've found references to posts on the ardour list and a couple of
other lists, where people basically asked the same question, but the
posted suggestions haven't helped my situation:

For example when trying to install JACK (which I'll need for ardour) I
get:

[olsam_AT_friday jack]$ autoconf
configure.in:24: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
configure.in:46: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_MSG_ERROR
configure.in:50: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PATH_GLIB
configure.in:64: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LD
configure.in:65: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
[olsam_AT_friday jack]$ ./autogen.sh
You should add the contents of `/usr/local/share/aclocal/libtool.m4'
to `aclocal.m4'.
aclocal: configure.in: 65: macro `AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' not found in
library
aclocal $ACLOCAL_FLAGS where $ACLOCAL_FLAGS= failed, exiting...
[olsam_AT_friday jack]$

I also get similar problems for ardour, so it seems to be a system
thing rather than a program specific thing.

From what I know about autoconf/configure is that there are some
macros (m4?) in an directory, and that these macros can be updated.
I'm not sure where or how. Can somebody point me in the right
direction to get the macros needed to autoconf/conifugre my way to
Linux audioness?

Thanks,

Oliver Sampson
olsam_AT_quickaudio.com