Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio program installs

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio program installs
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Sun Mar 24 2002 - 17:11:36 EET

>On Sun, 24 Mar 2002 09:23:04 +0100
>Oliver Sampson <olsam_AT_quickaudio.com> wrote:
>
>> [olsam_AT_friday jack]$ autoconf
>
>Why are you runing autoconf?
>
>Did you read the installation instructions in the INSTALL file?
>
>Only package manitainers need to run autoconf etc. You should be running
>the configure script. Now go and read that INSTALL file.

JACK is not distributed with a configure script when it is retrieved
from CVS, which is typical of about 80% of CVS-based "releases". I
know that some people disagree with this, and believe that CVS should
include the configure script. I have yet to be convinced by this, but
I'm willing.

When using a CVS "package", you generally need to run a script,
typically called autogen.sh, not try to guess at how to build the
configure script yourself. JACK comes with such a script.

Finally, although many of the people involved with JACK read LAD, it
would be better to send questions about it to
jackit-devel_AT_lists.sourceforge.net, which is members-only to reduce
spam.

--p