Re: [linux-audio-dev] those latency numbers

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] those latency numbers
From: Robert Jonsson (robert.jonsson_AT_dataductus.se)
Date: Mon Mar 25 2002 - 21:08:15 EET

Hi,

>PS: I'm now using Redhat 7.2 boxes, and I noticed artsd is started as default.
>I don't like this that much because it messes up the correct functioning of
>some audio apps.

Hmmm, I see...

>Eg mplayer AFAIK outputs to OSS (does not support arts output) and while
>artsd is running mplayer does not start the video and waits for something.

For the record, mplayer supports alot more audio output formats than
OSS, think it uses SDLs if you link against SDL.

>I'm testing on a SB Live card and the driver usually supports more apps
>simultaneously. (eg two OSS apps simultaneously works).
>So my question is if arts plays with tricks like LD_PRELOADin.

This does not make sense. SB Lives should never suffer from this,
atleast all the drivers I've tried (mainly alsa lately) does not block
anything. And I don't think Arts does that either... perhaps some
strange switch to Arts or the sounddriver?

there is also the possibility to use the artsdsp hijacking method, which
does LD_PRELOAD tricks I would presume.
But the bottom line is, this should not happen, you are not seeing this! ;-D

Regards,
Robert