Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio program installs

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio program installs
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Tue Mar 26 2002 - 17:15:01 EET

>Are there any software which can generate Configure.in/Makefile.in etc.
>files automatically? I tried the auto* programs but I got nothing which
>could ever compile. I could not understand what was missing in configure.in.
>It actually would had been easier to write Makefile manually... but I'm
>looking for a software which can automatically write those Makefiles,
>a simple task in my case (afterall, I am able to do it in systematic
>manner).
>
>While Auto* system helps end-users in compilation, it seems to not help
>software authors at all.

its helps us in dramatic ways. they're just not obvious to you at this
time. take a look at a reasonably simple Makefile.am and compare it
with the resulting Makefile. the difference between the two is the
one of the biggest reasons why Makefile.am's are helpful. there are
many more.

                          Instead, software author has to know more
>about the compilation system than earlier. I'm just not interested
>in to that. Besides, software author is still forced to write 200
>in-files if there are 200 directories -- I would like to keep

Not true.

>different programs in their own directories. (I write a lot of simple
>programs, not just one huge program.)

Sometimes, there are specific design models that a tool has, and these
models can conflict with the design that you use. This sounds like
an example of this.

>Is there anything which could help me?

I suggest you buy the O'Reilly book on autoconf/automake and read it
*carefully*. It contains far more information than you will get from
this or any other mailing list.

--p