Re: [linux-audio-dev] sound cancelation with anti-sound

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] sound cancelation with anti-sound
From: Robert Schrem (robert.schrem_AT_WiredMinds.de)
Date: Thu Apr 04 2002 - 15:00:53 EEST

Hi,

To make sound cancelation with anti-sound possible the
both sound sources would have to genetrate theier sound
>excactly< at the same physical position - otherwise you will
always recognize phase shifts between the two sources
of sounds depending on your current distance form the
sound sources. These position depended phase shifting render
the whole approach quiet usless for the biggest part of the
spectrum.

The only working solution I know of is to place the
anti-sound source directly at your ear - like in a headphone.
You just mike the sound at the outside of the headphone,
compute the apropriate anti-sound (by doing some phase shifts)
and then play it back into the headphone speakers.

At least this is what they do for pilots of very loud
planes and helicopters, esp. in the military area.

Robert