Re: [linux-audio-dev] sound cancelation with anti-sound

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] sound cancelation with anti-sound
From: Joshua Haberman (joshua_AT_haberman.com)
Date: Thu Apr 04 2002 - 19:39:28 EEST

* Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com) wrote:
> The drives have much less annoying whine than my "old" maxtor & seagate
> 4 GB drives, but the clicky noises (is that seeking?) are still
> quite audible. Anyway, it's down to the point where I can listen to
> music in the room with the PC and not feel like there's a huge
> blanket over the sound.

For quiet hard drives, I have to recommend the Seagate Barracuda IV
series. I just bought a 60GB UltraATA drive from www.newegg.com for $100
(so they're cheap too!), and I honestly cannot hear the thing *at* *all*.
To be fair, my CPU fan and Power Supply fan are not the quietest, so it
would be hard to pick out the "whining" sound you get from the platters
spinning. As far as the clicks, I've put my ear right up against my case
while I know the hard drive is reading/writing, and I cannot hear the
traditional clicking you get from accesses on other drives.

It runs a bit hot, but it hasn't been a problem for me.

Now I just need a CPU fan and a power supply that can match it. :-)

Joshua

--
Joshua Haberman  <joshua_AT_haberman.com>