Re: [linux-audio-dev] notebooks for audio dev

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] notebooks for audio dev
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Fri Apr 05 2002 - 01:19:21 EEST

On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 04:40:58PM -0500, rm wrote:

> is anyone successfully using a laptop for doing low latency audio
> development? if so which brands and models? (i've seen rme-audio's
> list, but it's a bit outdated now). a few of the sony models look
> cool, like the r505.
>
> the ibook seems nice, no pcmcia though; are there any firewire or usb
> interfaces that would be supported and suitable for lowlatency stuff
> under linuxppc?

I don't know of any linux support of any kind for a firewire
audio device.
ALSA does not support usb at this time, but you can use
some usb devices witih the kernel drivers.
Which means anything that requires ALSA will not run, of course.
I can't comment on low-latency performance of any of this gear...
just passing on what I've heard many times on alsa list & elsewhere...

--PW