Re: [linux-audio-dev] FREENIX paper about scheduling latency and stuff

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] FREENIX paper about scheduling latency and stuff
From: John Regehr (regehr_AT_cs.utah.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 03:44:33 EEST

> But not that much data from Windows 2000...
> (when things get tough - using disk or network, there
> are no data on Windows 2000 - why?
> Is it too good or too bad?)

In general I thought it would be good to focus on Linux because that's
where the interesting real-time patches are, and because it's possible
to do apples-to-apples comparisons between Linux versions.

Win2k seems to be a decent OS for soft real-time. It's preemptible so
in many circumstances it'll do better than vanilla Linux (before 2.5, at
least) for scheduling latency purposes. Certainly Win NT / 2k / XP are
miles ahead of the Win 3.1 / 95 / 98 / Me family.

If you're interested, there are some real-time experiments that I did on
Win2k here:

  http://www.cs.utah.edu/~regehr/papers/augmented/

John