[linux-audio-dev] Gnome Wave Cleaner (GWC) 0.08 is released

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Gnome Wave Cleaner (GWC) 0.08 is released
From: welty_AT_harbornet.com
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 00:01:04 EEST

The Gnome Wave Cleaner project is proud to announce the
release of version 0.08 of GWC. You can find it at:

http://www.redhawk.org/URLCatch.php?page=/vinyl/gwc.html

From the changelog:

BUGFIX: Save selection to same file as current file would core dump, this is now disallowed.
BUGFIX: The Lorber-Hoeldrich noise reduction method had an error, fixed. No perceptable difference in sound output.
NEW: Ephraim and Malah's noise suppression method (1984) was added.
NEW: configure now works with fft libs for Suse-linux

I must take this opportunity to give credit where credit is due:

First to William Welty who early on in the development of GWC
patiently reported bug after bug after bug, until I finally
got the basic app off the ground.

Second to Tim Wunder, who has recently put GWC through its
paces, and helped to make it a much better program through
his thoughtful feedback.

Third to James Tappin, who has been a great aid in making
efficiency improvements (in areas I hadn't even considered :-),
and getting this to configure on suse-linux.

I believe the GWC app is now in a state that I would call
"stable", several people have been digitially cleaning their
audio files for a while now. Please back up your data before
working on it with GWC, and if you find any problems, please
report them.

There remains 1 HUGE annoyance --The "Repair Only" checkbox
for clicks gets toggled when you hit the S key or spacebar,
but only after you have used the mouse to toggle it once.
A signal is being sent to the callback, but I have no clue
why, any gnome experts who have any ideas why, please help,
I'm at a loss...

I now promise to get on to converting the denoising, declicking,
and decrackling algorithms to LADSPA plugins. I hoped to get
going on a plugin for the GLAME project *last* year.

Jeff Welty, jeff_AT_redhawk.org