Re: [linux-audio-dev] Interesting read on modelling instruments

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Interesting read on modelling instruments
From: Enrique Robledo Arnuncio (erobledo_AT_iua.upf.es)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 23:21:10 EEST

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 12:00:21PM -0700, Bob Colwell wrote:
> But please...don't ever refuse to innovate on the fear that somebody else
> may have been there before you, patented his solution, and is waiting to
> ambush you if go the same way. That way lies disaster for everyone.

In this case, it is not fear that somebody else may have been there
before and made some patents. It is knowledge that somebody has been
there before, and that there seems to be quite a number of related
patents.

I don't know to which extent those patents cover implementations of
digital waveguide based algorithms. I have not read them. I don't want
to know, for the reasons you pointed in your mail.

I spent some time studying that material before realizing of the
patents issue, and that discouraged me quite a lot.

One of my main motivations had been the possibility of doing some open
source sound synthesis software in future, and the perspective of
being stuck in the same situation as LAME (not being able to
distribute binary versions of the software), for example, was not
nice.

---

Enrique.

PD: Anyway I think that Julius is an amazing guy. He has many other really great material on sound synthesis / signal processing in his web page, which I encourage you to visit.