Re: [linux-audio-dev] Interesting read on modelling instruments

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Interesting read on modelling instruments
From: xk (xk_AT_myrealbox.com)
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 00:35:02 EEST

> I don't know to which extent those patents cover implementations of
> digital waveguide based algorithms. I have not read them. I don't want
> to know, for the reasons you pointed in your mail.

They will still sue you till you're broke if you dare messing with
them. Not knowing the law isn't a reason to break it.

> I spent some time studying that material before realizing of the
> patents issue, and that discouraged me quite a lot.

Well, if you live in Europe there's still hope, as nothing has been decided
yet.

> One of my main motivations had been the possibility of doing some open
> source sound synthesis software in future, and the perspective of
> being stuck in the same situation as LAME (not being able to
> distribute binary versions of the software), for example, was not
> nice.

Most open software is distributed as source code, so I don't think this is a
big issue. And if you're a little guy, they won't even know you exist.

However, I wonder what will be the fate of Linux. What if Microsoft pattents
the way to do multithreading for example? Or they could look into Linux
code, patent something from there and afterwards pretend that they have
developed yet.

The bright side is that the Linux comunity could do that as well.