Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT?] Yet another question regarding RME HDSP driver status

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT?] Yet another question regarding RME HDSP driver status
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 18:47:08 EEST

>I guess this question is geared mostly towards Paul Davis and
>potentially Guenter Geiger. I was just wondering how was the Linux
>driver progressing (if at all) and if we should have something working
>any time soon. I offered a while ago my help to Paul (although my driver
>knowledge is as good as flying Space Shuttle :-) I would be more than
>willing to provide my humble assistance), but it seems like he has it
>all under control.

its nothing to do with "help".

during the install of the PCI interface, something (could be static,
could be a faulty card, could be something else) destroyed *two*
US$400 dual processor motherboards. that cost me $800. RME has
replaced the PCI interface, but SuperMicro are (for a change) being
idiots and will not reply to my request to RMA the boards for
diagnosis. this means that at this time, no reimbursement is in sight,
unless you count the digiface+pci interface RME gave me (which i
don't).

i paid out of my own pocket for 1 replacement motherboard, but the
other one is still dead.

now, if you were me, how much a of hurry would you be in to install
the new PCI interface in your sole remaining system, given that its
unlikely you will ever be reimbursed for 2 dead mobos?

as it is, i think its likely i will try it next week. i have all the
info i need from RME to add new code the the ALSA driver to support
the H-DSP.

if you want to help out, pay cash up to $800 to replace the
mobos. i'll be much more likely to move on this when problems like
this don't threaten my wallet.

--p