[linux-audio-dev] Re: [Alsa-devel] Fwd: Re: USB Quattro Linux support

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [Alsa-devel] Fwd: Re: USB Quattro Linux support
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Sun Apr 14 2002 - 16:08:14 EEST

>This is a multi-part message in MIME format...

AKA: This is a message in which the content is about 2% of the message
body :)

>I'm trying to get some specs from midiman for the usb quattro. They have asked
> this question. Can anyone fill me in so I can relay the info?

>Is there "class driver" support under Linux?

I suspect he means something like "audio class", "printer class",
etc. The answer is yes, sort of. What we have right now is a single
USB audio driver for OSS that attempts to implement the audio class
and also contains the inevitable long list of per-device hacks needed
to work around the fact that almost no manufacturer fully complies
with the class specification.

However, its for OSS, which is a problem, and we don't yet have a USB
framework for ALSA worked out, which is even more of a problem. Its
still unclear at this point whether the ALSA framework will be:

      application<->alsa-lib<->alsa-driver<->low-level-ALSA-USB-class-driver

OR

      application<->alsa-lib<->low-level-non-ALSA-USB-class-driver

the first one is easier to write, the second one is more flexible.

--p