Re: [linux-audio-dev] SuSE 8.0

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] SuSE 8.0
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Sun Apr 14 2002 - 23:47:34 EEST

pma wrote:

> Dear LAD folks:
>
> I see SuSE 8.0 is coming out soon. Any tips
> (ectasy, terror, ...) on its likely performance
> with respect to the RME Hammerfall and ALSA?
>
> Thanks,
> PA

alsa 0.9.0beta12 worked out-of-the-box as default sound driver -
configuration was completely automatical.
works nice, except i seem to have a little problem recording atm,
but that might as well be my cabling - i've been rebuilding almost
everything.

no hammerfall here, but since it is just another alsa driver, it
should work just as well.

one very cool feature of their config tool yast2 is raid creation -
it took me about 5 minutes to have a raid0 scsi pair with reiserfs
ready to go. quite a nifty setup for hd recording. spent EUR100 on
ebay and now i've got 18gigs worth of disk space with >50mb/sec
sustained transfer rate :)

all in all, a nice distro, if a little bloated. if you're a
pssionate do-it-yourselfer, i'd recommend against it, but if you
want a quick start and can tolerate excessive eye-candy, suse80
might be for you.

best,

jörn

btw, i think such inquiries should go to linux-audio-user. imho.

--
Watch out where the huskies go and don't you eat
the yellow snow !