[linux-audio-dev] Re: [OT] seriously screwed up Gtk installation ?FOLLOW-UP

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [OT] seriously screwed up Gtk installation ?FOLLOW-UP
From: Paul (set_AT_pobox.com)
Date: Thu Apr 18 2002 - 09:57:35 EEST

Nick D <nixx_AT_nixx.org.uk>, on Tue Apr 16, 2002 [12:01:57 PM] said:

> Yeah, if you want "linux on CD", then the others are more practical IMO.
> Debian really shines when you have a decent 'net connection. Ive recently been lucky enough to get an ADSL line, and its really made all the difference - i cant go back now.. For day-to-day upgrading of packages (i like to keep cutting edge ;), nothing can touch debian
>
> nick

        Hi;

        For those who might appreciate the BSD ports system, and
love the Debian apt sytem, Gentoo Linux might be worth a peek.
Its very young and new, and you need Basic Skills to get it
going. (Say, if you are used to an old slackware install.)
        The wonder of it, is that you build _everything_ on
your system optimized to your hardware. Ive been playing with it
for a few weeks on a test box, and I am enchanted. I am sure it
could use some sharp audio guys to contribute good audio ebuilds.
(an ebuild is a file that defines the magic needed for the
command 'emerge cdparanoia' to magicly download the src,
configure, compile, and install that package.)
        Here is a review:

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/4/3/19109/75936

        Here is the home page:

http://www.gentoo.org/

        Gentoo seems to like the cutting edge; you can even
try your hand at a gcc-3.x built system.

Paul
set_AT_pobox.com