Re: [linux-audio-dev] SuperClonider

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] SuperClonider
From: CK (x_AT_meta.lo-res.org)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 14:43:42 EEST

I read:
> Then I started thinking that it might be possible to start a free
> project that is source
> code compatible with SuperCollider. SC is a language like Smalltalk, and so
> GNU Smalltalk will be a good starting point.

I thought about this (but not too much) a while ago , what I had in mind
was more like sc2csound translator (using the newer fltk windget opcodes
for the gui stuff) the problem being that I'm not at all familiar with
sc I just played around a bit with it some years ago, don't have a mac and
if I had one it would run debian ppc ;)

> So the things to do are probably:
> - see what adaptations GNU Smalltalk needs to understand the syntax, and

I don't know if sc's smalltalk like syntax makes a GNUish smalltalk
implementation a good starting point.

> If you don't know SuperCollider, check www.audiosynth.com. It's the best
> audio/music programming environment/language I've ever used or even seen.
> But it's not free, as in both freedom and money. You need a Mac and 250 US$.

that's really a problem I might buy a linux version but then again I would
much rather donate 250$ to a GNUcollider project

> Somebody interested? Comments? Suggestions?

definitely interested!

> One question: is it legal to use the SC documentation to create the
> objects, and then
> release the code GPL'd?

yes, as long as mr mccartney doesn't hold patents on some algorithms that
a free implementation might come up with when trying to imitate sc's be-
haviour (and you don't disassemble)

regards,

chris_AT_lo-res.org	Postmodernism is german romanticism with better
http://pilot.fm/	special effects. (Jeff Keuss / via ctheory.com)